Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

MADONNA as FRIDA KAHLO illustrated by LEONID GUREVICH for BASIC magazine

Dear Guys and Girls,

As I promised in my last post here I am starting to fill you in on everything that’s been happening:

BASIC magazine published my illustrated editorial starring Madonna as I re-imagined her as Frida Khalo.  Madonna has been a fan of Kahlo for years and is an avid collector of her works.  I know that Madonna wanted to play Kahlo in a movie biopic until Salma Hayek got the part.
I was always puzzled that Madonna has never made a photo shoot inspired by Frida Kahlo, considering her obsession with the Mexican artist. With this editorial I tried to imagine how it would look if she did.




Coat and dress: MARY KATRANTZOU

Earrings: VERSACE
Headpiece: ANYA CALIENDO


One can draw many parallels between these two strong, vibrant women, from both being legends, having inspired entire generations to both having contributed to the pop culture immensely.
I personally think that Madonna’s face has a remarkable similarity to Frida’s. It’s not only about the shapes of their faces or the famous eyebrows. It’s about their masculinity, the intensity of their characters, about their ability to tell an entire life story with their eyes alone.

It was Madonna who I got introduced to Frida Kahlo’s work through, after reading “Madonna: Unauthorized” by Christopher Andersen. Until today I consider Andersen’s book to be the best Madonna biography ever written.

Studded cropped jacket, fishnet top underneath, and necklace: MOSCHINO
Bodysuit: JEREMY SCOTT
Towel used as headwrap, stockings and shoes: VERSACE
Top, belt and undies worn over cactus: ANDREAS KRONTHALER FOR VIVIENNE WESTWOOD
Earrings: MARNI

Below Illustration appeared cropped in the magazine, so here's an un-cropped version. Frida always painted herself surrounded by animals, majority of which she and Diego owned as pets.  I illustrated Madonna holding a pangolin - the MOST trafficked mammal on the planet. To hear more about Pangolins and what you can do to save them from extinction please visit here and watch this. 


Dress: VERSACE
Top underneath: LOUIS VUITTON
Floral bolero: ALEXIS MABILLE

And this is how it appeared in the magazine:



The below image wasn't published, but I love it because I managed to illustrate a very complicated outfit, a Cocoon dress by THOM BROWNE, that I was privileged to see in person:



Cocoon dress (left), socks, and shoes: THOM BROWNE
Dress (right): OSCAR DE LA RENTA
Hat: ANYA CALIENDO



These are the two BASIC magazine covers gracing the issue with my Madonna/Frida story


The last time I illustrated Madonna was back in 2010 as a Snow Queen that was published in OBVIOUS magazine in 2011.  While Madonna is putting finishing touches on her upcoming M14 album, here’s a fun assignment for you: Look at this published artwork of mine (2010) and compare it to the back of Madonna’s Rebel Heart CD cover (2015) Let me know what you think in comments. 

Stay tuned for more!

LEONID GUREVICH



Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar